Dominican Republic 101
With beautiful beaches, gorgeous sunsets and a relaxed atmosphere, the Dominican Republic is the perfect place for a tranquil getaway. Here are 10 fun facts about this peaceful island paradise:
- There are 4 international airports in the Dominican Republic: Punta Cana, La Romana, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.
- Best beaches: Bavaro Beach on the Caribbean side (Punta Cana), Playa Rincón on the Caribbean side (Samana), Playa Dorado on the Atlantic side (Puerto Plata).
- The Dominican Republic is on the eastern side of the island of Hispaniola, separated by mountain ranges from Haiti on the western side.
- Christopher Columbus discovered the island in 1492, on his way to the New World. He formed a settlement there during his second visit in 1493.
- “Teeth of the Dog” located in La Romana, is the #1 Golf Course in the Caribbean and #43 of the Top 100 golf courses in the world (Golf Magazine 2013).
- Catch a baseball game during the October to January season, at the Tetelo Vargas Baseball Stadium near La Romana.
- Santo Domingo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with some of the first buildings and churches of the Americas.
- The charming artisan community of Altos de Chavón is actually a re-creation of an historic 15th century European village.
- Humpback whales can be seen in the waters around Samaná from mid January to mid March.
- Cigars, coffee and cacao are the country’s finest exports.