Welcome to St. Lucia
Providing a happy medium between off the beaten bath and super touristy area, St. Lucia is a beautiful area with pristine beaches next to lush mountains. However, not too many people know much about this exotic escape. Here are some of our favorite facts:
- The island of St. Lucia has 2 international airports: St. Lucia (SLU) and Hewanorra (UVF).
- St Lucia is most assimilated to the islands of Tahiti, with tall volcanic mountain peaks, beautiful blue waters and a verdant landscape.
- The island is part of the British Commonwealth, although French is spoken everywhere.
- Helicopter transfers are available from Hewanorra Airport to Castries, the island capital.
- St Lucia, the honeymoon capital of the Caribbean, specializes in small, hillside cottage resorts, overlooking the turquoise waters of the Caribbean.
- The best beaches are on the eastern side of St Lucia: Jalousie Beach (between two volcanic peaks), Reduit Beach (longest walking beach) and Grande Anse (soon to be a national park with Leatherback turtle seasons).
- Diving and snorkeling St Lucia is popular due to sharp drop-offs and coral reef sea-walls. Anse Chastanet can be snorkeled right off the beach.
- Festivals galore in St Lucia: St Lucia Carnival, The Jazz & Arts Festival, Food & Rum Festival and the ARC Atlantic Rally, a sailing race from the Canary Islands to St Lucia, late November until Christmas!
- Rodney Bay Village is the entertainment area for Caribbean music, dancing, dining and a casino.
- Hiking the nature trails of the rain forest and Pitons display the legendary St Lucian Parrot, the blue tail lizard, endemic species and the natural mineral springs at Qualibu Caldera.